BPRxTM -060216: Lead drug candidate to treat Eosinopilic Esophagitis (EoE)
Eosinophilic Esophagitis (EoE) also known as “asthma of the esophagus” is a chronic immune mediated disorder of the esophagus affecting both children and adults. EoE is a major cause of chronic esophagitis, second to gastro-esophageal reflux. Patients present with abdominal pain, vomiting, and dysphagia, difficulty swallowing and food impaction. It can be refractory to standard treatment with strict dietary food allergen avoidance, off-label use of swallowed topical steroids and proton pump inhibitors.
- EoE is a orphan disease.
- Overall prevalence is 57 per 100,000 United States children and adults up to age 64 .
- EoE profoundly impacts quality of life in EoE patients.
- This life-long disease of adults and children has a United States prevalence of approximately 181,000.
- An economic burden of $1.4B in annual direct health care.
- There are no FDA-approved EoE treatments.
BPRx-060216 is our lead drug formulation for treating EoE. We have completed proof of concept studies and currently conducting preclinical studies